Driving Abroad

Are you planning on taking your car abroad? Before you set off it is a good idea to make sure you are completely prepared to stay safe and legal while on holiday. These are a few things you should consider finding out before you go to make your holiday worry-free:

  • Any compulsory or recommended equipment or documents you may need
  • Rules of the road in your chosen destination
  • Which side of the road you will be driving on
  • Learn some driving phrases in the local language

Some countries require you to have a GB sticker and you could risk an on-the-spot fine if you don’t display one on your vehicle.

You may be asked to produce your documents at any time during your driving holiday and it is crucial that you have them readily available or you could incur a fine or have your car taken off you. It is your responsibility to make sure you have all the required documentation with you, including any other requirements for immigration or customs. Below is a list of some of the most important documents you may need when driving abroad:

  • Valid full drivers licence – both the photo card and paper counterpart
  • Your original Vehicle Registration document (V5c)
  • Certificate of Motor Insurance and Travel Insurance
  • Your passport(s)
  • Breakdown cover and roadside assistance documents
  • A visa may be required in certain countries
  • You may need an International Driving Permit

It is important that you have the correct insurance policy to fully cover you whilst driving abroad. Some UK car insurance policies cover you for basic European travel but it is worth checking to make sure you are covered. If your insurance doesn’t cover you or you require a comprehensive policy you can take out a European car insurance policy. We also advise that you invest in breakdown cover and European Roadside Assistance to ensure that you are covered for any emergencies that may happen.