There are three main factors that can affect the driving range of a full electric vehicle:
Heavy acceleration and high speeds
• In any type of vehicle, accelerating fast will use more power and reduce range. This applies toInternal Combustion Engines (ICE) and Electric Vehicles (EV).
• Likewise, faster speeds create exponentially more wind and road resistance, impacting on
Climate and temperature
• Extreme heat or cold temperatures outside have the potential to affect battery range, directly. All electric vehicles (EV’s) have less energy when in cold temperatures compared
to warm temperatures due to battery cell chemistry.
• Heating and cooling the inside of the vehicle for passenger comfort also has an impact.
• Transporting more weight in the form of heavy cargo or multiple passengers results in greater energy consumption.